News: Contact me by email: fortunatusfamilia(at)gmail(dot)com and I will try and answer short queries. However if an individual is not on the site or I don't have details in the notes section then I can't help. However I am always happy to compare research notes.
   Last Name:   First Name:
Advanced Search
Surnames
What's New
Most Wanted
Photos
Histories
Documents
Videos
Recordings
Albums
All Media
Cemeteries
Headstones
Places
Notes
Dates and Anniversaries
Reports
Sources
Repositories
Statistics
Change Language
Bookmarks
Contact Us

Barnes, Peter Baron alias

Male Abt 1500 - Bef 1568


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All    |    PDF

  • Born  Abt 1500  Of Saffron Waldon, Essex, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Male 
    Died  Bef 1568  St Sepulchre, Holborn, London, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID  I04500  My Genealogy
    Last Modified  12 Sep 2016 

    Father  Barnes, John Baron alias,   b. Abt 1470, Of Saffron Waldon, Essex, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID  F01623  Group Sheet

    Children 
    >1. Barnes, Richard,   b. Abt 1520, England Find all individuals with events at this location,   bur. 24 Apr 1598, Mercers Chapel, London, England Find all individuals with events at this location
    Family ID  F01402  Group Sheet

  • Notes 
    • Possibly died before 1548 as IPM of father names brother Thomas as heir.

      Sergeant-in-law.(Barrister/lawyer)

      Reference Code D/B 2/TDS4/2
      Dates of Creation 8 May 1527
      Extent 1 item
      Title [Deed: Gift Cristina Spruse, widow, daughter and heir of William Dyer of Chipping Walden, to PETER BARNE, gent, Thomas Albury and Thomas Downyng Land in Saffron Walden (under the terms of her father's will)]
      Scope and Content Gift
      Cristina Spruse, widow, daughter and heir of William Dyer of Chipping Walden, to PETER BARNE, gent, Thomas Albury and Thomas Downyng
      Land in Saffron Walden (under the terms of her father's will)
      Language Latin, with translation
      Date From 1527

      Other sons:/relatives ??
      Introduction
      This property, at the E. end of the parish, was bounded to the W. by 11, to the N. and E. by properties in St. Lawrence Jewry parish, and again to the E. by 104/35. In 1459 it was said to have a frontage to Cheapside of 22 ft. 2 in. (6.76 m.), and to extend 167 ft. 7 in. (51.08 m.) N. from the street. (fn. 1)
      On the street frontage the property corresponded to no. 101 and part of no. 102 Cheapside in 1858.

      From: 'All Hallows Honey Lane 11/12', Historical gazetteer of London before the Great Fire: Cheapside; parishes of All Hallows Honey Lane, St Martin Pomary, St Mary le Bow, St Mary Colechurch and St Pancras Soper Lane (1987), pp. 102-104.
      In 1536 the parish let the Bull Head to George Barnes, alderman, for a term of years at 15. rent. The charges for the chantry, amounting to 7. 13s. 10d. p.a. in all, were borne jointly with a property in the parish of St. James Garlickhithe, and the combined annual value of the two after all expenses excluding repairs was 17. 1s. 8d. Barnes appears to have been resident here, probably with John Marre, in 1541; in 1544, however, Barnes, was noted in the subsidy list for this parish, but not assessed because he was charged under Broad Sreet ward. This probably indicates that he was not resident in 12 by that time. George Barnes alias Baron, alderman, acquired 11 in 1544, and in December 1548, with Henry Becher, haberdasher, bought 12, still held by Barnes on lease but now in the occupation of John Marre and Henry Hayes, from the Crown for 224. All the quit-rents were said to be discharged except for the 6s. 8d. payable to Barnes as owner of 11, but the 8s. payable to the owner of 104/35 was still being paid in the 17th century. (fn. 11) For the later history of 12, see under 11/11-12.

      From: 'All Hallows Honey Lane 11/12', Historical gazetteer of London before the Great Fire: Cheapside; parishes of All Hallows Honey Lane, St Martin Pomary, St Mary le Bow, St Mary Colechurch and St Pancras Soper Lane (1987), pp. 102-104. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=7942. Date accessed: 20 August 2008. URL:

      St. Bartholomew's Priory was dissolved in 1539 and 11 was sold in 1544 to George Baron or Barne, citizen and alderman, and George Baron, gentleman, for 15 years' purchase of 18. 2s. 8d., though part of the property included in that valuation had previously been granted rent-free for life to the Dales by the Crown. Sir George Barne, citizen and alderman, died in 1558, having devised 11 to his wife Alice for life, with remainder to his sons George and John; the premises were valued at 41. He had also, with Henry Becher, bought the adjoining tenement (12), a former chantry property, in 1548, but this was not mentioned in his inquisition post mortem, and might therefore have been held by feoffees at his death. (fn. 12)

      From: 'All Hallows Honey Lane 11/11', Historical gazetteer of London before the Great Fire: Cheapside; parishes of All Hallows Honey Lane, St Martin Pomary, St Mary le Bow, St Mary Colechurch and St Pancras Soper Lane (1987), pp. 97-101. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=7004. Date accessed: 20 August 2008.

      William Ettys lived in 2 in 1540, when the tenement was viewed to settle a dispute between the rector and churchwardens of St. Christopher, and Bartholomew Barnes, mercer, tenant of 145/39, which with 105/1A now belonged to the church of St. Mary le Bow. The viewers found that the little shop towards the street (1B) measured 8 ft. 1 in. (2.46 m.) E.-W. by 12 ft. 9 in. (3.89 m.) N.-S., and was 9 ft. high (2.74 m.); all above the shop belonged to Barnes. Behind the shop, the tenement (2) measured 42 ft. 2 in. (12.85 m.) N.-S. by 21 ft. 9 in. (6.63 m. E.-W.) at either end, between Barnes' land (145/39) and the lane. The rector, churchwardens, and parishioners then leased the tenement and shop, giving the measurements as before, to Barnes for 99 years at 3 rent. Barnes, who was also about to rebuild 145/39, was to pull down the tenement and rebuild it before Christmas 1542 with oak timbers of the same scantlings, and with as many storeys, as he was bound to rebuild the adjoining tenement. Thereafter he was to repair. William Ettys was to continue to live there after the rebuilding at the same rent or fine that anyone else was prepared to pay. The churchwardens could enter to view and distrain for arrears, and acquitted Barnes of all charges except the rent. Barnes was bound in 100 to perform these convenants. A view taken of 145/39 in 1542, when that had been rebuilt and 105/1A, the part of 105/1 associated with it, was 'now in taking down', gave slightly but not substantially different dimensions (8 ft. 4 in. by 12 ft. by 10 ft.; 2.54 m. by 3.66 m. by 3.05 m.) for 1B, the shop belonging to 105/2. (fn. 4)
      In 1543-4 and 1546-7 the churchwardens of St. Christopher's owed 10s. rent to the Crown, formerly due to Kilburn Priory, for a tenement in the parish of St. Mary Colechurch. This quit-rent was extinguished when the property itself passed to the Crown in 1548. The endowment of John Whatele's chantry was then worth 10. 13s. 4d., less chantry, obit, and quit-rent charges, including 1 to 'Lady Nerford's priest.' The property, probably incorporating 1B as well, was granted in September 1548 to William Gunter and William Hobson, together with 145/39 and 105/1A, and other properties, at 18 years purchase. 105/1B and 2 were valued at 3, according to the lease to Barnes, less 1 quit-rent to Lady Nerforde (sic). Gunter and Hobson, who bought many properties in London at this date and disposed of most of them very rapidly, probably sold 1B-2 to Bartholomew Baron (d. 1548) or his son John Baron, citizen and mercer. In 1551 John Baron, with his wife Elizabeth, granted and quitclaimed in the tenement with shops, cellar(s), solar(s), etc., representing 2 and probably 1B, lately occupied by his father and now by himself, to Robert Browne, citizen and goldsmith. In 1555 Robert Browne and his wife Margaret granted the same tenement back to John Baron, who still occupied it. (fn. 5)
      John Barnes (probably identical with John Baron) occupied a house worth 6. 13s. 4d. p.a. in this part of the parish (the last house listed in the tithe assessment) in 1558. Robert Mathewe occupied this house in 1571. Possibly 1B-2 was the messuage and curtilage in the parish of St. Mary Colechurch which Thomas Cranfield, mercer, and Edward Ockelshawe, haberdasher, recovered from William Leonard, mercer, in 1573; Leonard called Bartholomew Barnes, mercer, to warrant. In 1574 the communicants in Robert Mathewe's household consisted of himself, his wife, and 4 servants. Mr. Draper held the last house in the parish list in 1602, and Edward Draper in 1612 and 1619- 22. Mr. Abel, holding a house valued at 24, is the most probable tenant or occupant in 1638. (fn. 6)

      From: 'St. Mary Colechurch 105/2', Historical gazetteer of London before the Great Fire: Cheapside; parishes of All Hallows Honey Lane, St Martin Pomary, St Mary le Bow, St Mary Colechurch and St Pancras Soper Lane (1987), pp. 418-420. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=5791. Date accessed: 20 August 2008.

      London: - Abstracts of Inquisitiones Post Mortem, City of London, 1485-1561
      Burials.
      Inquisitions of the Reign of King Henry the Eighth.
      Robert Downe.
      County: London
      Country: England
      Also of 2 messuages, with shops, etc. late in the several tenures of Thomas Barret and Robert Bynlowes situate in Bordhallane in the said parish of St. Mary of Colchurch, sometime belonging to the House or College of Acon, London, now dissolved and suppressed, which the said Richard Downe lately purchased to him and his heirs for ever of the grant of Bartholomew Baron, citizen and mercer of London.

      England: Canterbury - Wills Proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury, 1383-1558 (A-J)
      1383 to 1558.
      County: General
      Country: England
      1537 Baron, Richard, Northe Marston, Bucks. 4 Dyngeley

      Any connection??
      TITLE DEEDS

      FILE - Gift to uses from John Ben of Walden Co. Essex, and Joan his wife, to Thomas Fenne, chaplain, their son, John Grene, knight, Richard Baron, gent., Thomas Smyth and Henry Ben - ref. ACC/903/45 - date: 11 January 1526

      FILE - Gift from Thomas Fenne, clerk, to Aldred Fitziames & Nicholas Rutlond of London, gents., Richard Clerke, clerk, Simon Dison of London, esq., John Aylewarde of London, haberdasher, Thomas Smyth of Walden, Co. Essex, yeoman, of land in the town and fields of Enfield - ref. ACC/903/46 - date: 6 June 1526
      [from Scope and Content] Which Fenne had with John Grene, knt., Richard Baron, gent., for the use of Fenne and Joan Ben (now deceased) by gift and feoffment from John Ben and Joan his wife, dated 11th January 1526 and 15th February 1526.

      (A Batholomew Barnes who died in 1548 owned Aldbourough Hatch or Aldbury)
      Roger Hill, who was knighted by Charles II in 1668. His third marriage, in 1662, to Abigail Barnes, daughter and co-heir of Thomas Barnes, brought him an estate at Aldborough Hatch in Essex, where he died on 21 April 1667. He was buried in the Temple Church.

      In 1551 Wangey was granted by the Crown to Edward Fiennes, Lord Clinton and Saye, Lord High Admiral. (fn. 620) He sold it in the same year to Thomas Baron (or Barnes), (fn. 621) who already owned Aldborough Hatch, Downshall, and Newbury. (fn. 622) Wangey descended with Aldborough Hatch until 1590, when Thomas Barnes, son of the purchaser, conveyed it to Joseph Haynes (d. 1621),

      From: 'The ancient parish of Barking: Manors', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 5 (1966), pp. 190-214. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=42723. Date accessed: 15 September 2008.

      Histoy of Catholic Since 1534
      Harpsfield, John, D.D., born in Old Fish Street, in the parish of St. Mary Magdalen, London, was the grandson of Nicholas Harpsfield, Esq. This gentleman in 1472 was in the custody of Bishop Wayneflete, and detained in the episcopal prison of Wolvesey Castle, having been indicted and convicted of homicide, and subsequently claimed from the king's prison as
      a clerk by the bishop, in accordance with the ecclesiastical laws, as entitled to the benefit of clergy. The offence was committed at Windsor Castle on Aug. 21, 1471, and the bishop's commission for his purgation and delivery from Wolvesey prison is dated Aug. 29, 1472, so that he probably obtained his release before the close of the year.

      John Harpsfield studied his classics with his younger brother Nicholas, at Winchester School. Thence removing to New College, Oxford, he was made a fellow in 1534, and completed his degrees in arts. Afterwards he was appointed chaplain to- Dr. Bonner, Bishop of London, and being inducted into a good benefice in that diocese, resigned his fellowship about I55 x
      In the beginning of Mary's reign, having been created D.D., he was promoted to the archdeaconry of London, about 1554, in the place of John Wymsley. In 1558, shortly before the queen's death, he was made dean of Christ Church, Norwich, the former dean, John Boxall, having other duties to-
      perform.

      When Elizabeth ascended the throne Dr. Harpsfield was obliged to resign his deanery to John Salisbury, suffragan of Thetford, in 1560. He was then committed prisoner to the Fleet, where he remained about a year, when he was discharged upon finding surety that he should not act, speak, or write
      against the established church. The remainder of his life was spent in great retirement and devotion in the house of one of his relations in St. Sepulchre's parish, where he died, Aug. 19, 1578.

      He was buried in the parish church, as appears from the letters of administration taken out by his nearest relative, Anne Worsopp. It was probably at this lady's house that he resided. She was the widow of John Worsopp, gent, and daughter of Richard Baron, Esq., citizen and mercer of London, by his wife, Alice Harpsfield. This Baron's father, Peter, of Saffron Walden, co. Essex, was a serjeant-at-law, and was drowned in the Thames.

      Fox charges Dr. Harpsfield with persecution, but it must be remembered that he was obliged to carry out the measures against the so-called reformers by virtue of his office. There is no record that he exceeded the commands of the Council, or that he infused animosity into their execution.

      Wood, Athena Oxon., ed. 1691, vol. i. ; Dodd, Cli. Hist., vol. ii. ; Maitland, Reformation; Tablet, vol. xlvii. p. 536; Harl. Soc., Visit, of Lond., 1568.

      There is an entry in the Oxford Alumni:
      Barnes, Peter(Barnis or Barons) BA 23.10.1526 MA(sup. 26 May) 1528 (Memo. admon. MA at Oxford for Peter Barnes BA 18th July, 1528.
      Also entry for Robert Barne(or Baron) BA 6th May 1534. Fellow of Merton Colledge 1538. MA 29th July, 1541 B. Med sup 1547-48. Created D. Med 27th Aug. 1566. Lionacre lecturer 1558. His will proved at Oxford 12th December, 1604.

      Any connection??
      Essex Record Office
      Level: Category Records in private custody
      Level: Fonds MICROFILM OF RECORDS OF MANORS IN CHIGWELL AND LAMBOURNE AND DEEDS
      Level: Series Manor of Woolston Hall in Chigwell
      Level:
      Item
      Reference Code T/B 138/11/1
      Dates of Creation 4 July 1530
      Scope and Content Microfilm of exemplification of common recovery
      Humfrey Browne, sergeant-at-law, Richard Baron of Walden, gent., PETER BARON of Clophill, gent., Richard Gibson, citizen and merchant taylor, Jn. Lowen, citizen and draper, Thomas Cheverell citizen and haberdasher, all of London, and Thomas Grene of Codred, yeo., v. George Scott, senior
      Manor of Wolhampton alias Wolston, 10a. land, 24a. meadow, 80a. pasture, 8a. wood and 9 rent in Chigwell
      Vouchee: Thomas Chapman
      Date From 1530
      Date To 1530

      Boyd's-only Peter Barne/s Burials:
      1563 BARNS PET CLAPHAM SURREY

      Edward alias Baron:
      Arms: 2 lions passant guard, in pale ar.
      Crest: Out of clouds appr. issaying rays paleways or an arm erect habited of the last, holding in the hand ppp a broken sword ar. Hilt gold.

      Baron alias Barne of Aldborough county Essex. Allowed 1568. Per fess az. and gu. two lions passant guard. ar collared counter changed.

      Commissions of the Peace.
      12. Essex: Sir Thos. More, C., Thos. duke of Norfolk, Chas. duke of Suffolk, Thos. earl of Wiltshire, John earl of Oxford, Hen. earl of Essex, Thos. earl of Rutland, Robt. earl of Sussex, Wm. prior of St. John's of Jerusalem in England, Hen. lord Morley, Sir Wm. Fitzwilliam, jun., Thos. abbot of Colchester, Sir Robt. Norwich, Thos. Inglefeld, Chris. Hales, attorney general, Sir Brian Tuke, Sir Wm. Fitzwilliam, sen., Sir Th. Tyrell of Hern, Sir Roger Wentworth, Sir Giles Capell, Sir John Grene, Sir John Raynesford, Sir Thos. Seymour, Sir Thos. Tey, Sir Wm. Pyrton, Humph. Broune, serjeant-at-law, Thos. Audeley, Humph. Wingfeld, John Seyntclere, Thos. Bonham, Wm. West, Edward Tyrell, John Smyth, Roger Cholmeley, Wm. Bradbury, Ric. Riche, Ric. Higham, John Pilbarough, Peter Baron, John Edmunds, jun., Barth. Prowse. Westm., 12 Dec.-Pat. 22 Hen. VIII. p. 1, m. 13d.

      From: 'Henry VIII: December 1530, 19-28', Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 4: 1524-1530 (1875), pp. 3059-3078. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=91412 Date accessed: 30 June 2011.